Longtime friend and compadre Ian White Maher, who graduated from Harvard Divinity School last year has turned his Senior Thesis into a longer term project: The Race Museum. He created an art installation as part of his thesis that was on display last year at Harvard, and has taken it and expanded it to show to community audiences. Some of you may have seen it on display at General Assembly UUA in Ft Worth last June.
In March 2006 the Race Museum will tour the East Coast, and is looking for hosts for the installation and a popular education workshop. There are requests for artists to contribute, and activists to participate in this interactive and contemporary examination of the complex racial/ethnic/cultural issues in our society. I look forward to seeing it come to Boston again. If you’re interested in organizing to host, read on friend!
I am writing to announce an exciting new project called the Race Museum, a traveling exhibit of interactive and participatory anti-racist art. Please check it out at http://www.racemuseum.org
We have chosen art as the medium for our work in an attempt to deepen intellectual analyses of race as well as identify the emotional, psychic and spiritual impact white supremacy has had on our lives.
We are presently commissioning 5 new pieces of interactive and participatory anti-racist art and are offering $1000 for each piece.
In March 2006 the Race Museum will begin touring the east coast. In addition we will hold complimentary workshops designed to give participants tools to analyze institutional and cultural racism as well as understand how their identities have been shaped by white supremacy.
This is a big project and we would love your help:
– Do you know artists who would be interested in participating in our Call for Entry? This is a great opportunity to be paid for something there are precious few dollars for, despite the enormous passion many of us have for this issue.
– How about activist friends? Activists and artists run in similar circles and if you don’t know an artist who would love to try out, your activist contacts might. Word of mouth is extremely powerful and networking, more than anything else, will make this project a success.
– Do you write a blog or have your own website? Would you be willing to write about the Race Museum or put a link on your site?
– Do you belong to artist or activist listservs? Would you be willing to post this announcement, especially the Call for Entry for the artists?
– Do you or your organization publish a newsletter? Would you be willing to insert a blurb about the Race Museum and include the web address? I would be happy to help write a description that would fit into any available space you might have.
Please feel free to email me with any questions or comments you might have.
I’d love to know what you think.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Ian White Maher
PS For those of you who receive this message more than once, please accept my apologies. I am sure that more than a few of us are on the same listservs and this will seem like a bother given our already-too-full inboxes. I am sorry for any inconvenience.
The Race Museum
Freeing Our Souls From White Supremacy